Friday, 26 October 2012
Week 2 Artists Techniques
This weeks tasks was to research several artists and search for some inspiration to help with my sketches, looking at their techniques. I focused on three artists, Scott Eaton, Michelangelo and Burne Hogarth.
Firstly I will begin with Scott Eaton, the first thing I noticed was his method of adding shading, he uses strong lines, making it not as realistic as other sketches I have seen, it even looks a little messy however for some reason I find it fascinating, I have seen artists use this method before and I might try using this technique, as it is something I need to improve on, I find it difficult to get shading right in my sketches. I think using this technique I will be more aware of shaded areas in my drawings.
The next artist I looked at was Michelangelo, a well known artist worldwide, looking through his sketches I really liked the way he draws the human form, its very detailed and the shading is well done, in the image on the side the shading looks a little 'blobby' and I find it hard to create the same effect in my drawings. Comparing this to above I think the sketches look more realistic, it a lot more smoother and easier on the eye, however Scott's sketches have something about it that makes it appealing to me, I think he pull's off the 'messy' look very well and I find his work more interesting than Michelangelo's.
The final artist I focused on is Burne Hogarth, I noticed he does hands and feet really well in his pieces, and this is something I don't get chance to do in my life drawing classes because of the time I am limited to, so I would like to focus on these parts in this weeks tasks drawing 3 human studies using Burne's techniques.
Comparing Burne to the two artists above his drawings look more exaggerated for example the leg and arm muscles in the drawing to the side, however these are very detailed and the shading is something I look as inspiration. The muscles are clear and using his techniques will help my drawings look well formed and not as flat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment