Sunday, 7 October 2012
Week 1 Proportion
This week I focused on the proportion of the human body and the different sizes and shapes, I learnt there are three main types the Thin (ectomorph) body type, Round (Endomorph) and Hard muscular (Mesomorph body type.
For this weeks task I created 3 studies of the human form, using pixelovely.com as reference, I firstly went with a female due to the fact I don't draw them often, in lifedrawing classes I usually draw male models. I started off by drawing the outline and getting the scale and shape right and continued to add layers and layers of extra detail spending around 2 hours altogether, for the first drawing I think I did really well, and feel I can draw females better than the male models.
I struggled with the feet a bit, it took awhile to get them to not look like mini sausages but I got there in the end, I found it hard to get the rib cage in without it looking bad, on the picture it is really noticeable but I feel on the drawing it isn't.
Next I decided to draw a male model, I wanted to focus on the torso but decided to draw the full body, same as the above drawing I started off quickly getting the silhouette of the body and added layers of detail, I did struggle getting the legs right here because of the clothing on them, I do prefer to draw without all that on. I feel I could have done better with the torso muscles, the abs are not as detailed as I would want and the arms look a bit off, this drawing could do with lots of improvements, and I need to focus on improving on the male models much more.
The final drawing I wanted to challenge myself, again with a male model but this time with a difficult pose where a lot is going on, the torso muscles were very difficult to get right, the shading on the body could be much better and this is one of the main things I need to improve on to make the drawings look realistic and less 2D. I struggled getting the head right too which was a bit strange, it doesn't look like it fits in with the body, at this point I had been drawing for a while and quality had gone down compared to the female drawing earlier. Next time I will do one a day so this doesn't happen and keep working on something if I can't get it right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment